Code of Ethics
This code is established to further the objectives of the Portuguese Water Dog Club of Canada (PWDCC) set forth in the Club Constitution. All PWDCC members have an obligation to protect the Portuguese Water Dog and its future by putting the breed’s welfare before any consideration of profit or personal advantage and by protecting it from exploitation, irresponsible promotion and careless breeding. All PWDCC members are representatives of the club and our breed. Members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner which brings respect to the club and to the breed by displaying good sportsmanship at all events, civility, honesty and responsibility for their dogs and themselves at all times.
- Shall abide by the Constitution and By-laws of the PWDCC and the rules of the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC).
- Are encouraged to support the PWDCA Health Registry with specific attention to testing for health disorders directly related to the Portuguese Water Dog.
- Shall conduct themselves at all times in such a manner as to reflect credit on the sport of purebred dogs and Portuguese Water Dogs in particular. This includes respect for show sites, convention facilities (hotels), public recreation facilities, other dog owners and their dogs while at a show site, and all other aspects of responsible dog ownership. No member shall defame another member’s dogs or breeding program. Substantiated and proven claims of defamation, intimidation and bullying may result in suspension of club membership.
2. Breeders and/or stud dog owners shall:
- maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness and care, breeding only dogs that are in good health and free from communicable diseases.
- evaluate honestly the structural and mental qualities of all Portuguese Water Dogs used for breeding.
- acknowledge that they are aware of and understand the PWDCC Recommended Health Testing Protocol as set out in the PWDCC Policy and Procedures Manual and on the Club web site About PWDs/Health
- provide all health test certificates of both Sire and Dam to potential puppy owners prior to accepting payment of any kind for a puppy from the resulting litter AND/OR
- register all tests in the PWD Health and Litter Data Base (www.pwdhld.com).
- use a written stud dog contract for every breeding.
3. Breeders (owners of the brood bitch) shall:
- keep accurate breeding records, registrations, and pedigrees.
- evaluate honestly the structural and mental qualities of all Portuguese Water Dogs sold, and fairly represent that evaluation, and when needed request assistance from more experienced breeders.
- provide a sales contract, signed by all parties involved, which would include but not be limited to all services and sale arrangements mutually agreed upon, adjustments, replacement conditions, etc. This contract shall require that the breeder be contacted whenever an owner can no longer keep a dog at any time in the dog’s life so that the breeder may either assist in the placement of, accept the return of, or pay said dog’s expenses should the dog be placed with PWDCC Rescue and Relocation.
- furnish appropriate paperwork, e.g., CKC registration or transfer documents unless written agreement is made at the time of sale that papers are being withheld, pedigree, health information on parents, details on feeding, general care, inoculation program, grooming instructions, obedience, etc.
- require buyers to spay/neuter any dog not suitable for breeding, and/or sell puppies on a non-breeding registration.
- be fair, open and honest in conducting business and advertise honestly in a manner that is in no way misleading or fraudulent.
- verify to the best of their ability that the purchasers of puppies will be responsible owners who will provide proper homes and care.
- assume responsibility for educating and assisting new owners in caring for their dog for the lifetime of the dog.
- assume life-long responsibility for re-homing all puppies they produce, should this be necessary.
4. Breeders are encouraged to supply PWDCC membership form and a copy of the Code of Ethics to all puppy/adult dog buyers.
5. Club Members in Positions of Leadership (i.e. Board Members, Rescue Co-ordinator, Breeder Contact, Branch Club Executive) in addition, shall:
- Be mentors for the breed by willingly sharing their knowledge and experience related to the Portuguese water dog and information related to participation in dog sports and activities with others. Be a resource and champion for our breed.
- Be committed to supporting other breeders, new club members and participate in educational activities when required or when asked to do so.
- Never use their position in the club to benefit their own breeding programs, promote the sale of their puppies or for any form of personal profit.