The Waterlog is our quarterly newsletter for members only. It is available by email and past issues are archived on the members only section of the web site. Contributions are always welcome, please send your ideas for articles, features and photos to the Roslyn Eskind, email@example.com.
Advertising in the Waterlog
Waterlog Advertising Policy approved by the Board of Directors of the PWDCC August 2005 (amended January 1, 2015 to reflect new Health Policy)
Classes of Advertising
Portuguese Water Dogs and/or Portuguese Water Dog Kennels must be current PWDCC members in good standing. There are two classes available in this category:
1. Breeding Related Advertising is classified as:
- Ads that relate to Stud Dog, Brood Bitch, Conformation wins, Litter announcements or any other aspect of breeding.
- Brag Ads for intact dogs
The PWDCC requires members to fully disclose all health data on dogs in breeding related advertising.
Intact dogs under 2 years of age are exempt from OFA by definition, and can be exempt from other testing until their second birthday and can specify NOT TESTED for these categories. CAER is still required in advertising intact dogs under 2. See below for more detail.
2. Non-breeding Related Advertising is classified as:
- Memorial Ads for for either intact or spayed and neutered dogs,
- Brag Ads (Event results, etc.) for spayed and neutered pets (see above for intact dogs).
Health data is not required for Memorial ads or brag ads of non-breeding spayed and neutered pets of members. The ad must state Spayed or Neutered as appropriate.
Advertising from commercial ventures is not restricted to members.
Required Documentation by Advertising Class
1. Breeding Related Advertising, that is, all dogs that are intact require health testing and documentation.
Date of birth must be provided for all dogs.
Only dogs under 2 years of age are exempt from all health testing completed and documented.
Certificates must always accompany health test claims as documentation or complete testing must be posted on the PWD Health and Litter Log www.pwdhld.com.
Individual health testing required for both sire and dam in a breeding pair prior to breeding:
- Hips (OFA: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, www.ofa.org) final certification at 2 years or over with Excellent, Good or Fair rating)
- OVC Pass (Ontario Veterinary College, www.ovc.uoguelph.ca, program in effect up to October 31, 2011, suspended further testing effective this date)
- OFA Eye Certification Registry (CAER), www.ofa.org. Certification is valid for twelve (12) months from the date of the eye exam.
Annual re-examination is recommended. (Note: during the pandemic shutdown, this test can be waived if ophthalmologists are not providing this service)
At least one parent tested normal for
- prcd-PRA test by Optigen, www.optigen.com, or Optimal Selection optimal-selection.com rated Normal, Carrier, or Affected
- EOPRA test by Optigen, www.optigen.com, or Optimal Selection optimal-selection.com rated Normal, Carrier, or Affected
- Storage Disease Testing, GM-1 test by Optigen, www.optigen.com, or Optimal Selection optimal-selection.com
- Junior Dilated Cardiomyopathy (JCDM) test by PennGen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Improper Coats Testing (IC13) by Optigen, www.optigen.com or Optimal Selection optimal-selection.com rated Normal or Carrier
- Microphthalmia, email@example.com rated Normal or Carrier
Breeding must not take place between 2 carriers of prcd-PRA, JCDM or GM-1, IC or Microphthalmia as indicated by the test result certificates. Breeding a clear or normal dog to a carrier or to an affected dog is permissible.
Optional test for either or both sire and dam:
- OFA Elbows
- DNA testing by AKC
CHIC clear by parentage designation for GM-1, prcd-PRA, JDCM, or IC in place of individually tested dogs is acceptable for both or either sire and dam.
When advertising the frozen semen of a deceased dog, health certifications must have been in accordance with the PWDCC advertising policy in effect at the time of the dog’s death.
2. Non-breeding Related Advertising
Date of birth must be provided for all dogs.
Vet certificate indicating spaying or neutering must be submitted with ad (annual exam certificate will indicate this, remember to ask your vet at your dog’s annual exam).
Truth In Advertising
If an advertiser provides false information or claims, a notice will be published in the Waterlog and the advertiser will be suspended from advertising for a year. Challenges to claims in Waterlog ads must be submitted in writing to the PWDCC Secretary within 60 days of the appearance of the ad. Upon notification of a challenge by the Secretary, the advertiser will have 30 days in which to submit a response. The PWDCC Board of Directors then will decide the merits of the challenge, notify all parties of its decision, and include the case in the Board meeting minutes.
PWDCA Health & Litter Database
Submitting an ad with health test documentation to the Waterlog for publication, is a great time to enter this same dog and data on the PWDCA Health and Litter Log for inclusion in the PWD database.
Health data must use the following wording:
GM-1 (choose one of the following)
N99, N99L, N99A, N95, N95L, N95A, C99, C95, IND, AP, GM-1 NOR, GM-1 CAR, GM-1 NOT TESTED (acceptable for dogs under 2 years of age only)
CHIC CBP number
Hips (choose one of the following)
OFA # FOR EXCELLENT, GOOD OR FAIR RATINGS
TOO YOUNG TO OFA (acceptable for dogs under 2 years of age only)
OFA PRELIMS (acceptable for dogs 12-24 months) rating of EXCELLENT OR GOOD
OFA PENDING, RADIOGRAPHS SUBMITTED (acceptable one time only on dogs between 2 and 3 years of age)
OVC PASS or Grade I to OVC Grade IV
OFA CAER number with date of exam (choose one of the following)
CURRENT # (current is within 12 months of ad submission)
EYES CLEAR, # PENDING (with copy of exam form)
FAILED (A dog rated Optigen “C” or “C1” can be featured in a breeding related ad provided it has a current CAER exam form with a diagnosis of PRA as the sole reason for failure)
Optigen (Choose one of the following)
OPTIGEN A, A1, B, B1, or C, C1 or Normal, Carrier, Affected (new rating system 2005)
OPTIGEN NOT TESTED (acceptable for dogs under 2 years of age only)
CHIC CBP number
1-1 PROBABLE NORMAL
1-2 PROBABLE CARRIER
Improper Coat (IC:13)
Ads may include the following in a dog’s health statement using only the wording below.
- OFA EL# – OFA Elbow certification
- OVC Elbows (PASS or ABNORMAL)
- ERG – dog’s status to be stated with name of facility, year and dog’s age in months, example: ERG-CRN/95-24 means ERG done at Cornell University in 1995 at 24 months.
- DNA Profile
Ads will not be accepted if information is incomplete or not stated using the acceptable wording.
Health Testing Information
Visit our Health Forms page for downloadable forms and instructions.
Waterlog Advertising Rates/Schedule
|Ads||sizes||colour cost||b/w cost||art required add*|
|Full page||7.25 x 9.75||$55.00||$20.00||$65.00|
|1/2 page vertical||3.5 x 9.75||$35.00||$10.00||$45.00|
|or 1/2 page horizontal||7.25 x 4.75||$35.00||$10.00||$45.00|
|1/4 page||3.5 x 4.75||$25.00||$7.00||$25.00|
|Business Card*||3.5 x 2||$25.00||$15.00||$25.00|
*includes placement for the year, 1 scan of card, art, if required, is additional, see above.
Business Card PWDCC Members and Breeders or Commercial Advertisers
Card placement for one year (4 issues, Feb., May, Aug. Nov.) for $25.00 colour, $15.00 black and white.
Art Supplied: Card and Ad art must be supplied in hi-res jpg or pdf file size-as, RGB or CMYK colour.
Where is art is provided by the Waterlog: Source files of images must be must be supplied in hi-res jpg or pdf file size-as, RGB or CMYK colour.
No printed photos accepted.
Regular features, please submit, we love to celebrate your special pup, young or older!
Cover Pup: send 50 words or so on your dog and supply 2 hi-res photo files (jpeg or pdf).
Pupopgraphy: our own Proust questionnaire, answer the following questions and supply 2 hi-res photo files.
DATE OF BIRTH:
LEADER OF MY PACK:
LEISURE TIME ACTIVITIES:
BATHING AND GROOMING TOLERANCE:
TOYS OF CHOICE:
MOST ASHAMED OF:
MOST PROUD OF:
WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO BE WHEN I GROW UP:
And finish off with some details about you and your family, where you live, etc.
Please book advertising space with Roslyn Eskind our editor, firstname.lastname@example.org, as far in advance as possible and no later than the art due date.
|2021||Advertising due date||Publishing dates|
|February Waterlog||February 14||February 28|
|May Waterlog||May 14||May 28|
|September Waterlog||September 14||September 28|
|December Waterlog||December 14||December 20|